the grandstand at the Sergeants Hill racecourse, Westport

Original Filename: 0346.jpg (view)

Original Size: 2 MB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

the grandstand at the Sergeants Hill racecourse, Westport.

Caption

the grandstand at the Sergeants Hill racecourse, Westport, note the liquor bar area on the ground floor, and the judges stand, trotting meetings were also held on Victoria Square from 1896 - 1898, about 1890 the Westport Jockey Club purchased land behind the Pig and Whistle Hotel at Sergeants Hill, and a ¾ mile track and grandstand were erected, they held their first meeting there in 1895, the Westport Trotting Club used this track at Sergeants Hill in 1901 - 1902 until they shifted to the Mill St. course in 1903, the Mill St Racecourse was a ½ mile clay track (the total area 24 acres), the Patterson Park Racecourse commenced by the Jockey Club 1916

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
the grandstand at the Sergeants Hill racecourse, Westport by Trich Devescovi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License