Mrs PENNY's boarding house in Palmerston St, Westport, after the fire in 1935

Original Filename: 0442.jpg (view)

Original Size: 1.7 MB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Mrs PENNY's boarding house in Palmerston St, Westport, after the fire in 1935.

Caption

Mr and Mrs PENNY standing among the ruins of Mrs PENNY's boarding house in Palmerston St, Westport, which with HANSENs furniture shop and the United Friendly Societies club rooms and dance hall, all destroyed by fire on the 6th November 1935, (see also print no. 455 which will show these buildings before the fire).  Mrs PENNY's boarding house was named the Waverly Boardinghouse, HANSEN & Co.s two storey warehouse built about 1905, the Friendly Societies Hall (which had formerly been St Andrews Presbyterian Church) was built about 1880, the front portion of this building had shops on the lower front floor and a large Lodge room upstairs, the Waverly Boardinghouse was erected about 1890, the front downstairs portion was used as a carpentry shop by OLIVER and SIMPSON, next door was O'CONNELL and HUTCHISONs furniture warehouse, erected initially in 1890 by Job MUNSON as an auction room.  Westport Times & Star Office, and LAWSONS in background.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion