Princes Street (West), Charleston 1870

Original Filename: 0477.jpg (view)

Original Size: 2.9 MB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Princes Street (West), Charleston 1870.

Caption

Princes Street (West), Charleston 1870.  C J HURST, Fruiterer and Seedsman.  PERRETT.  WEST.  Was the original site of the Caledonian Hotel that had burnt down in 1869.  A busy street scene in Charleston in the 1800 s, the building with the large kerosene lamp over the door signifies that this place of business is an hotel licensed to supply spiritous drinks.  One of the main requirements for a hotel license in those days was that type of lamp operating from sundown to sunrise - all of the time. 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion