The Bank of New South Wales at Charleston during the gold strike days in the mid 1800 s

Original Filename: 0482.jpg (view)

Original Size: 2.5 MB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

The Bank of New South Wales at Charleston during the gold strike days in the mid 1800 s.

Caption

The Bank of New South Wales at Charleston during the gold strike days in the mid 1800 s.  26th March 1867 opened as an agency of Hokitika, became a Branch office 8th Feb 1878, and closed on 29th December 1894.  The bank owned Lot 72 and part Lot 71, 48 feet to Princes Street and x 65 feet to Greenwood Street, corner section, the area had been twice worked for gold, in consideration of which the bank received £45-0-0 which was credited to the Charleston gold purchases A/c.  The land was purchased for £10-0-0 in 1878 by the bank, and eventually sold to Bowater and Bryan Ltd sawmills in 1923 for £5-0-0

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
The Bank of New South Wales at Charleston during the gold strike days in the mid 1800 s by Trich Devescovi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License